Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Creating Capabilites

As of right now (9 pm), I'm going to focus on two of Martha Nussbaum's central capabilities of all humans, as she lists in her book:

"2. Bodily health. Being able to have good health, including reproductive health; to be adequately nourished; to have adequate shelter.
. . .
9. Play.  Being able to laugh, to play, to enjoy recreational activities."

I'm focusing on these two in particular for two reasons: partially so I can have something to write tonight and partially so I can give a somewhat decent reason for not writing a full-length blog on time. (I plan to actually write tomorrow afternoon at the latest).

I'll start with number nine. This morning, I woke up late (after yet another dream-filled night that doesn't leave me feeling rested), rushed to get ready for work, then rushed to work. I then worked a seven-hour shift with no break. For employees like me, we are entitled to a 30-minute break every time we work. For most, breaks are protected time of rest and nourishment. They are, in a sense, a protected time of leisure. For me, they rarely happen. I was not able to eat for the seven and a half hours between my rushed breakfast and my sneak-bites-of-food-when-I-can lunch.

The rest of my day was filled with to's and from's up to this point. I've had no leisure time. Actually, what I consider my leisure time will be when I go to sleep in a few minutes. So, there went my number nine central capability.

I'm sure you've figured out by now why I also chose number two. Last week, I was sick (which is the opposite of bodily health) and I'm still trying to get my health back under control. Not getting adequate good sleep is a part of that issue. I certainly am not adequately nourished at this point . . . unless you count the multivitamin I try to remember to take each day. While I have decent shelter, it isn't the healthiest place to live since I haven't had a chance to clean in over a week. Even when it is clean, its an old drafty trailer next to a field, so I often get field mice inside. Its a roof over my head, but drafty windows and mice mixed with inadequate nourishment and inadequate sleep lead to staying sick most of the time.

Long story short, I'm going to publish this little bit tonight. And, unusually for me (I was always the kid who freaked out when they didn't finish a homework assignment), I'm not going to feel guilty about it. Martha  Nussbaum has helped me realize that my health and sanity are more important than school or work.

On that note, goodnight for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment