Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

“Eating, sleeping, raising children and making money: It's the human experience. Everybody can identify with it.” -Dean Young

Dean Young is an American poet. He was raised in an era in which the American dream was still alive. Today, however, the American dream has become an unrealistic icon for the majority of American people. However, the majority still strives for each of his "parts of the human experience."



A few weeks ago, I watched Waging a Living. I hoped that it would perhaps end happily (partially to give myself some hope for the future), and was disappointed. One of the four characters was able to move on and move up in society - and only after she found a nice man. The rest had positive moments, but the overall outcome was not one of great hope.

Many of the people I know at work go through the same trials that these characters went through. They work a minimum-wage job. They get bi-yearly raises based on their performances, but most don't work at this place long enough to start making enough to live comfortably. Most of them have food stamps, public housing assistance, and medicaid or medicare.

Then there are the people I know at school. Most of them believe they will be able to live a comfortable lifestyle on a low-paying job. They believe they'll be able to pay rent, bills (including electric, gas, cell phone, cable, and/or internet), car insurance, health insurance, and still be able to buy gas for their car, groceries, and new clothes. I used to be one of these people until I actually tried to start paying for even half of these.

I work over thirty hours a week (this week, I'm scheduled over 33). I make quite close to eight dollars an hour. I pay for my own electric bill, cable/internet bill, gas for my car, and groceries.

Here's some quick math:
If I make $200 each week, after taxes, that's $800 a month.
My rent is a very low $350. That leaves $450.
It wasn't very cold this winter, but my highest electric bill was around $150. That leaves me $300.
My internet bill was around $60 a month. That leaves $240.
Each time I fill up my car, its close to $50. I live near a bus line, but its not one of the main ones. I live too far away to walk (plus I'd most likely have to walk the interstate, which is illegal). I can usually go almost a week and a half before filling up. If I fill up only three times, that's $150. That leaves me $90 a month for food. Most people do not eat on $90 a month.
And that's not including car insurance, health insurance, or my phone bill.

Check out this page to see what the estimated living wage for Buncombe County would be. Keep in mind that rent for a 1-bedroom or studio apartment usually runs from $400-$1,000 in Buncombe County. Also keep in mind how much insurance and bills can cost.

Experiencing a low-wage job has certainly helped make my expectations of life more realistic. Maybe numbers will be enough to help others see the future more realistically.


Not only do many Americans struggle to pay bills, rent, and buy food, but they also struggle with house work, raising children, and keeping a stable relationship. Unequal Childhoods by Annette Lareau considers different families and how they raise their children. In her study, she found that many women do the majority of the work within the home. I was reminded of this recently when I was reading a magazine called Real Simple. Within this month's issue, there is an article called "Women and Time." The writers found that more than six in ten women say their spouses have the same or higher standards when it comes to household chores. Also, eight in ten women say their spouses have the same or higher standards when it comes to child care. Despite this, only one in five husbands share the housework with their wives. The main reasons women gave for this are the following:




1. "I enjoy doing things with my children."
2. "If I did less around the house, or with my kids, I'd feel like I wasn't taking care of it/them properly."
3. "I don't believe my partner would do the household chores the way I want them done."

This corresponds well with the findings in Unequal Childhoods, even though this magazine caters to middle-class or higher women. I have no simple remark or response to this information. It only makes me think hard about the way I may be forced to raise my children. It also makes me realize that if I'm going to get anything done around the house (chores-wise), I may have to break out of my perfectionist do-it-myself shell and ask my boyfriend for help. I know he has at least the same standards as I do in cleanliness and is more than willing to help. I just have to let him help.

No comments:

Post a Comment