Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Graduating

As I was reading Bobos in Paradise, I couldn't help but keep thinking of the song "La Vie Boheme" from the musical Rent. If you haven't ever seen Rent, you should. Its an excellent musical written by a man who was dying from AIDs. The following video is from the film version of Rent. Some of the lyrics are difficult to understand, so click here if you want to read along as you listen.


Every part of the lyrics echoes how David Brooks describes Bohemia in Bobos in Paradise. The passion of Bohemia is why many aspiring actors and actresses pack up and move to New York. However, they quickly find out that rent in New York is expensive, acting jobs are few and far between, and they have to make enough money to pay for rent and bills and groceries.

I suppose the college dream would be to graduate and get an awesome job that pays well and is enjoyable and to enjoy life. That's the life described in Bobos. But how realistic is that? To be honest, I'm not sure.

I have a week and a half before I officially finish my undergraduate career. Its exciting. But, at the same time, I can't help but look back and realize how much I didn't do and how much I didn't learn. I could have majored in something that required me to study my ass off (pardon my language please). I could have gone to a university in which I could have spent all my time studying just my chosen topic and become a better master of whatever I chose. I could have applied myself more at this university. I could have taken more design or acting classes. I could have double majored. I could have been more involved in community off campus. 

Honestly, this doesn't feel like a very positive look back at my college experience. There are so many things that I could have done differently. But I wonder if it would have made a difference. Would I really have learned so much more? Or would it all have gone in one ear, stuck in my brain long enough for a test, and gone out the other ear like much of the information presented to me has? 

I believe I have come to the following conclusions about college:

1. People should really know what they want to do in life before going off to college. That way, they know they are going to school for the right topic and won't have to change their major.

2. Some people perhaps do just fine with full credit semesters. People like me, however, should probably stick with part-time status. That way, we could actually learn everything we need to learn to continue in a career in our given area of study.

3. When you get to the end and realize you have regrets, stop. Look back at what you've accomplished. You have a degree, which puts you in the top 57% of people who enter college, according to MSN. If you were only in school for four years, you are one of 37% of college students who finish a four-year degree in four years. If you're the first person in your family to either go to college or actually graduate from college, take pride! Chances are, you've achieved a lot, despite any regrets you may have. 

4. Real life is nothing like college life. You have to work to pay the bills and to live. You don't have to turn in assignments for just a grade - if you have a job with assignments, you have to turn them in for a paycheck (or even to keep the job). Finding a job is harder than it may seem. But just remember that it is okay to work at a minimum wage job for the experience. It is also okay to hold a minimum wage job until something better presents itself. That way, you can have the financial stability needed in America to survive while looking for a job that would be your career.
With these conclusions, I feel a little better about my college career. I know now that its a bad idea to do too many things at once. I know that I learn best when I'm given the opportunity to either use what I learn in a hands-on experience or continuously think about a text or topic. I know I'm the first person in my family to graduate from a four-year university (not to mention with distinction). And I know that I have grown as a person, and am continuing to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment